Benjamin Shield, Ph.D.
Visceral Manipulation II
This visceral manipulation course is a continuation of Visceral Manipulation I and will focus on the organs of the thorax, digestive system, urogenital system, obstetric considerations, and ways of treating organ trauma and dysfunction. It is a “hands-on” class. The most important feature will be tools to treat common somatic symptoms that are visceral in origin.
We will explore the nature of organ systems and learn to feel their various motions for the purpose of evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment. Of particular interest will be the relationship of the urogenital viscera and its influence on the spine, pelvic floor, and lower extremities.
We will study an overview of the:
- Lungs including pulmonary complications, conditions of the pleura, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Heart and pericardium
- Lymphatic system
- Nerve and vascular plexi affecting these structures
We will be exploring differential diagnoses in regards to pain, function and structure.
We will continue our discussion of kidneys, bladder, prostate, uterus, and ovaries. Some of the common urogenital symptoms that we will learn tools for will include:
- Bladder dysfunction, incontinence, hypersensitivity, prolapse, and adhesions
- Pelvic and abdominal pain
- Uterine retroversion and prolapse
- Prevention of obstetrical problems
- Mechanical and functional disorders of the ovaries and uterine tubes
- Visceral influence on circulatory problems, low back and leg pain
We will also explore the various approaches in the evaluation and treatment of trauma to the organs. This would include types of trauma, how it might manifest in individual organs, the effect of organ trauma on the Craniosacral system, post-traumatic organ evaluation and treatment, and psychic and emotional reactions to organ trauma.
Visceral manipulation is a fascinating and crucial adjunct to bodywork and treating the “whole person.” It can easily be integrated into massage, deep tissue manipulation, and osteopathic treatment. It will be a fun course and will relate to many treatable issues that clients will present.
There will be a comprehensive workbook provided with important lecture material, photos and illustrations of the various techniques discussed in class.