Benjamin Shield, Ph.D.
Treatment of Soft Tissue Pain and Dysfunction
The commitment and focus of my practice has been to help clients get out of pain and to help keep them out of pain. The goals have been to achieve a greater sense of comfort, ease, movement, and expression. Each client is unique and his or her treatment is unique for each session. My goal is to treat in as few sessions as possible and in the least intrusive manner possible.
My work is both clinically oriented and heartfelt. I base my work on knowledge, experience, trust and safety. My ideal is to create more choices for my clients: choices in how you move, how you can express yourself, how you are not limited by your structure, pain, or discomfort. These choices become limited through injury, habit, posture, rotations, compensations, surgeries, and how you present yourself to the world.
For more than 35 years and more than 60,000 sessions, I have specialized in a significant spectrum of manual therapies. I invite you to explore the discussions of these on this website. As a result of this spectrum of work, my practice is diverse and individuals come in with a variety of conditions and considerations. Some conditions that I commonly treat are:
- Craniosacral dysfunctions (please see the description on this website for a more thorough discussion)
- Pediatric conditions (please see the description on this website for a more thorough discussion)
- Visceral disorders (please see the description on this website for a more thorough discussion)
- Temporomandibular pain (please see the description on this website for a more thorough discussion)
- Chronic pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder conditions
- Back pain, spasm, and subluxations
- Spinal stenosis
- Foot and ankle problems
- Improvement of athletic and dance performance
- Recovery from accidents and trauma